Here is a selection of my publications. If you’d like me contribute something to your publication or to guest-post on your blog, contact me through the contact form.
- Structured Writing: Rhetoric and Process, forthcoming from XML Press, 2018.
- The Language of Technical Communication, XML Press, 2016 (Contributed section on topic-based writing.)
- Every Page is Page One: Topic-based Writing for Technical Communications and the Web, XML Press, 2013.
- Internet Programming with OmniMark, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000
- HTML 4 Unleashed, 2ed., Sams, 1998 (Co-author with Rick Darnell, et. al., wrote section on XML)
- XML and SOAP Programming for BizTalk Servers, Brian E. Travis, Microsoft Press, 2000 (Contributed appendix on OmniMark programming language)
- It’s Time To Start Separating Content From Behavior, The Content Wrangler, October 6, 2012.
- The Paradox of Tech Comm, TechWhirl, September 25, 2012
- Re-Thinking In-Line Linking: DITA Devotees Take Note!, The Content Wrangler, May 3, 2012.
- Book Review: Too Big to Know, CIDM Information Management News April 2012.
- It’s Time for a New Doctrine of Technical Communications, TechWhirl, April 2, 2012.
- What is XML Really About, The Dynamic Publisher, March 6, 2012.
- “Soft Linking”, Best Practices, Center for Information Development Management, forthcoming.
- Every Page is Page One, guest post on I’d Rather be Writing,
- Considering Fluency in XML Design, CMS Watch,
- What Makes an Authoring System Tip, Best Practices, Center for Information Development Management, February 2004.
- Managing the Impact of Change on your Content, Best Practices, Center for Information Development Management, February 2003.
- Structured Content: What’s in it for Writers?, CMS Watch.
- Single Sourcing Across Product Versions, Best Practices, Center for Information Development Management.
- What Does Your CMS Call this Guy (The role of names in content management), CMS Watch, January 2002
- Designing XML Tagging Languages, XML Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 8, August 2001
- Hierarchy Based Parsing, XML Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 7, December 2000
- XML Encoding, a Streaming Approach, XML Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 6, November 2000
- Building XML Middleware Using OmniMark, XML Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 4, August 2000
- Creating Database Update Tools, Web Techniques, Vol. 2, Issue 7, July 1997
- Managing Browser Differences: Working Around Differences in Navigator’s and Explorer’s Handling of CGI Scripts, Web Techniques, Vol. 2, Issue 2, February 1997