A New Look

Every Page is Page One has a new look. The main reason for the change is to integrate the blog into the company website.

When I started this, I had no idea if I would be able to maintain a regular posting schedule, or if anyone would read it. Wary of having the company site burdened by an abandoned blog, I decided to keep it separate. But the blog has now become a regular obsession, with a stack of draft posts in reserve and a stack of ideas sitting in Catch notes, so I am confident I will be able to continue it.

More than that, writing it has become a delight for me, rather than the chore I feared it might become. I’ve also become acquainted with a number of delightful and brilliant people through the blog and the comments people leave. That alone would be reason to maintain it.

So, the blog is here to stay, and it is very much part of the company and its mission, which is why it now shares a look and feel and branding with the company site, though it maintains a separate URL.

How’s the new look working for you? Let me know in the comments.

7 Responses to A New Look

1. Vinish Garg 2013/06/24 at 11:23 #

Welcome change Mark. I recall that the earlier version (prior to this new look) was not too old, but this is refreshing.

The immediately noticeable changes are lot of white space, and the Analecta reference.

However, two quick comments please:
    (A) I feel that the width of main content area may be less when you use images in the posts and when you wrap text around images, as you have done in the past.

(B) Since you must be reviewing how the new design works, why not to make the header as sticky? It means that users can always see the header, primarily navigation when they are participating in comments.

Cheers!

2. Tom Johnson 2013/06/24 at 12:15 #

It’s cool to see you getting into theme design more. I like the new look. The font is kind of light gray and hard to read.

3. Mark Baker 2013/06/24 at 13:46 #

Thanks Tom.

I’ve set the font colors darker. Hopefully they are dark enough to work on all displays now.

Incidentally, I created the layout using the Canvas, inspired by your post on that theme. And by the time I was ready to deploy, I read you had changed again!

• Tom Johnson 2013/06/24 at 17:16 #

I do like the flexibility of the Canvas theme. I think that on the backend woothemes tend to be pretty complex, but overall it’s a great theme for responsive design, minimalist appearance, and flexibility.

I’ve found that regardless of the theme, after about 6 months or so I change it. But that’s the fun part about web design now — the separate of content from format makes it practically painless to revamp the entire layout and design of a site.

4. Vinish Garg 2013/06/24 at 13:53 #

Mark

Refreshing change it is. The immediately noticeable changes are (a) lot of white space (b) the analecta reference.

However two comments please:
    – The width of main content area may fall short when you use images and wrap text around the image (as you have often done in earlier design).
    – Since you are just working on the theme files, you can leave the header fixed (the sticky header as we call) so that when users are participating in comments, the navigation links are always available to them without scrolling up
    – The white space above the header (see above the logo please) can be reduced.

Regards
    – Vinish

• Mark Baker 2013/06/24 at 15:26 #

Thanks for the comment Vinish,

The width of the main content area is a matter of tradeoffs, I think. Too wide and it becomes harder to read. I’ll monitor that aspect and see how things go.

I’ve tweaked the top whitespace. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’ve never been a fan of sticky headers, myself. I’ll see it anyone else suggests it.

5. Ellis Pratt 2013/06/25 at 04:16 #

The grey is hard to read, particularly the comments. It’s interesting seeing your design and navigation choices in light of my post in technical communicators and their websites http://notebook.stc.org/letter-from-the-uk-technical-communicators-and-their-websites/